What are the Global Teacher Grants?
Global Teacher Grants are sponsored annually by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) with funding provided by the U.S. Government and administered by IREX.
Global Teacher Grants offer teacher exchange program alumni an opportunity to demonstrate teacher leadership, develop themselves professionally, and enhance their role as change agents in their schools and communities. Recipients of Global Teacher Grants use the funding, in addition to the resources, skills, and networks that they acquired during their fellowships, to benefit their students, colleagues, administrators, and community. Global Teacher Grants allow for a maximum of $2,000 in funding per individual award. There is no minimum amount of funding per award.
Who is eligible?
Applicants must be alumni in good standing, currently working in elementary or secondary education in their country of citizenship, and an alumnus of one of the following programs:
● Fulbright Classroom Teacher Exchange Program
● Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Program for International Teachers
● Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Semester Research Program
● Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Short-Term Program
● Fulbright Leaders for Global Schools Program
● Fulbright Teachers for Global Classrooms Program
● Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program
● International Leaders in Education Program
● Teachers for Global Classrooms Program
● Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program
What makes a strong application?
Global Teacher Grants applications should propose a project that addresses a clear and concise educational need within their school and/or community. Projects do not need to focus on the classroom exclusively. Strong applications will include a detailed budget, attainable goals, a logical workplan to achieve those goals, avenues of collaboration with other project stakeholders, and a plan to continue the project once funding ends.
Application and Implementation Timeline:
● October 14, 2021: Global Teacher Grant applications opens to all eligible alumni
● November 11, 2021: Applications are due to IREX
● December 2021: Award recipients notified via email
● January – July 2022: Project implementation period